Monday, August 2, 2010

The day and dog that changed my life.


The first week of February I spent a lot of time on the Roanoke SPCA website I wanted a dog. MaDee had not been in the apartment for awhile now and I knew that with her recovery that we would not live together the rest of the year. My college experience had no longer been about the parties and boys it was about going to work, paying for gas to haul up and down the highway to Radford and of course MaDee. It was my choice to move to Roanoke and I wouldn't have changed it for the world even if I knew that we'd really only live together for a few months during those few months it was just how I'd imagined hauling me to the gym with her, delicious home cooked meals, expensive trips to UKrops etc. But when MaDee became more and more ill I knew she would live at home permanently until her transplant. Come February I was feeling a bit lonesome and decided it would be a good idea to get a pup. As I browsed I contemplated on how to ask MaDee without sounding like a selfish brat. Then as we all know February creeped into its second week and MaDee was in ICU- at the time I was unaware that last week would be our last conversation. I called and got her voicemail, sent text messages etc. I then found out she was in an induced coma in ICU- Valentines Day came and gone I had wrote on her caring bridge, sent text to Tamara, stayed on the phone with friends. February 16th I lost my bestfriend. I felt it in my heart no one had to tell me I already knew. I saw that my phone was beeping red, I turned it off and went back to bed until 7:55am jumped in the shower then my doorbell rang. Great! I jumped up threw my pink RU sweatshirt on, black yoga pants and ran to the door. It was my mom. She flung open the door "Tamara texted me at 2am told me MaDee wasn't going to make it through the night, I had to be with you I didn't want you to be alone." Mom had drove 6 hours from SC. I was in shock mode still I have to be honest I was cool as a cucumber for two weeks before I broke down. I hugged her as she cried but we got into bed, I shut MaDee's bedroom door and pulled the covers over my head, "I'm getting a dog." I said. Mom of course thinking I am obviously not in a rational mode," Well let's get through the week and this weekend first Amanda."

I woke up around 3pm, sent all 5 professors the same e-mail and left for SC with my mom. I stopped off in Roanoke on my way back to Staunton for the weekend. MaDee was with me in spirit and strength as I took photos down (for the funeral) and scrambled through her jewelry drawer to bring her sister.The weekend had came and went and Monday I was going back to school. I had one goal from February to May that was graduate college. Not that school work and planning my sister's bridal shower and wedding wasn't enough of a distraction I knew that I needed a dog.

Now don't get me wrong- I didn't want a dog to fix things or change my life. Getting a dog isn't the same as having a baby to save a marriage it's a dog not a human so don't judge me...yet! I was back on the Roanoke SPCA website, I browsed the dogs. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to set expectation or pick out a dog based on a photo but I wanted "Baby Tex" I printed out the paperwork filled it out. Come Thursday February 25th I was going to get a dog whether it was Baby Tex or not. Tex was going to PetSmart for a bath so they told me to come around 4:45pm. I browsed like I was looking for other dogs when I got there. I circled the big dogs that were 1-10 years old. Sad, I thought does that make me a bad person because I want a pup? I was really eyeing the boxer that resembled Chance from Homeward Bound but left and went to the puppies. An adorable hound Bella and a lab Mollie were really catching my eye but where the heck was Baby Tex? I asked a volunteer and she said he's not back yet. I didn't want to get my heart set on someone else so I browsed the birds, cats and rodent like creatures then back to the puppies. Baby Tex! He was bigger than expected and was just sitting there while Bella was a lunatic I looked at them back and forth who was it going to be? Looking at Bella I sighed turned around to Tex who now had pooped in the corner. Who was I kidding?! I came for Baby Tex and I'm leaving with Baby Tex. I went to the front desk they asked if I knew who I wanted I said "Baby Tex" as I pulled out paperwork like an eager beaver. They looked at me, "Oh aren't you prepared." Yep. I smiled pulled out my red debit card $110.00 bucks and an SPCA calendar (best calendar ever order it for 2011!) The lady leashed Tex and he was all mine.

I felt like an unfit mother. As I hauled him in the front seat of the jeep. Now what? There's an old bag of Mo-man's food in the pantry and that's all the traces of a dog owner in the apartment. I had a knot in my stomach- this is just like that time I spent $100+ on Coach shoes. It seemed like something you want and then you have it. Except I didn't have to worry that Tex didn't match anything or looked incredibly tacky on me. Okay breathe. I looked at Tex- just me and you buddy. Sink or swim you're my little lifesaver! Tex was in PetSmart for the second time in two hours I could see the confused look of the workers. Tex was crazy- now you have a personality, figures as soon as the transaction goes through you're off the chain. We went down the toy aisle and he grabs a Harley Davidson Rope Pig- Really Tex? I thought to myself. One hour later I came out with a bag of Science Diet, Crate, Crate Mat, Couple of Toys, Treats, Carpet Cleaner. It's official I'm a mom. Long story short. Tex was everything I needed him to be he was a handful. I couldn't stay cooped up in the apartment depressed now I had to be out walking, potty training, playing etc. I was a mom afterall. Did I get pissed when he ate my pens? yes. Chewed up 4 pairs of flip flops and a pair of tennis shoes? yes. Pee'd every freakin' where? yes. Ate a pair of my panties and had to induce vomit? yes and yes that really happened swallowed them whole! Yesterday he peed in the floor for the first time in over a month was I pissed? yes. Does it mean I love him any less? No.

Baby Tex is really Tex now. He is charming and crazy as ever. He is in this food craze where he see's what he can knock of the counter. I am no dog whisper but he's a good dog and good lookin' at that. Six months ago I lost my bestfriend- Tex is a reminder of how precious life is because I may have saved his life but he saved mine at the same time. <3



Thanks for reading. I hope it wasn't too "ramotional."


An awesome quote from my SPCA Calendar
" Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation" - Kahlil Gibran
MaDee <3

No comments:

Post a Comment