Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Candy Buffet: Weddings on a Budget


I've decided to start blogging about my sisters wedding before months go by and it seems irrelevant. It's been over a month since her July 17th wedding so I felt I better get a head start. One thing Ashley (the bride) knew she wanted was a candy buffet. Some couples decide to have a candy buffet and favor but I feel that the candy buffet is sufficient enough to replace a favor.

I must admit I've never understood wedding favors. I love a bridal cookie or something edible but something with the couples monogram or names hasn't been my thing- but I think they also can be special and if they have a multi-use reception/take home I think that can be neat too. Favors are very unique to the couple. I guess I might be biased to the new crave of candy!

At the wedding many commented that they've never seen it before which felt odd but I know not everyone keeps up with wedding trends especially if there's was 30 years ago. The wedding buffet was a hit at the wedding- it's affordable and a neat way to tie into the reception decor. Ashley's wedding was orange and pink but we didn't theme the candy to those colors. When doing a candy buffet it's important to first think of what's going to be most photogenic then what actually tastes good. I can honestly say we spent less than $300.00 on this buffet and here's how...

The picture speaks for itself so I will try to get to the important stuff and how to do this on a budget. Underneath the table we had extras but certain items were more in demand than others. If I could have done this different I would have wanted a rectangular table however since I was in the wedding I wasn't as hands on to the set up as I would have liked but I think it turned out great!

1) Table- pick the most appropriate size and shape table. Take in consideration the amount of candy choices and space. An oversized table will make your buffet look scarce and vice versa. At your venue make sure this table is available if not consider bringing your own or make it work with what the venue can offer.

2) Candy Jars- Pick a variety of sizes and shapes or use all the same just remember that the bigger the jar the more candy you'll need and ofcourse that means more money. I really like the jars that have the lids but I figured that the lids come off anyway but for photo purposes it might be worth it!
These candy jars are very common in homegood stores everywhere most are multi-purpose. Ours are from Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and Carolina Pottery. They range from $3.99 to $11.99! We decided to throw in two jars specific to the orange and pink wedding colors because we didn't use that in our candy scheme and matched the candy in each jar accordingly.

3) Signs- It doesn't take a craft expert to make these signs. I used ribbon, card stock and colored scrapbook paper, design cutting scissors. Font: Curlz- I chose to label each candy but it's optional. Hot glue is the best adhesive to use because it sticks but also can be taken off after the wedding to reuse the jars.

4) Candy Bags- We got 500 bags for $14 on a wholesale candy shop online- they're plain white and mom bought an "S" self inking stamp and I stamped nearly 500 of these! (See why you want me to plan your wedding!?!) The first "S" mom bought literally looked like the Sheridan Hotel emblem so we bought a different one that looked like the Curlz S. These self inking stamps are the way to go you can get them for about $11-15 at a stationary store or gift speciality store. The sign on the brown basket say "Love is Sweet" Candy Bags- not so original but super cute.

5) Candy!- Okay I bargained shopped like never before. The day before the wedding you could see me in Waynesboro up and down- Wal-Mart, KMart, Dollar General, Food Lion etc. trying to find the deals. This seems like a no brainer but always look at the ounces because you can buy those $1 boxes at dollar general of sour patch kids or the big bag at Wal-Mart for $7 the Wal-Mart one is the deal because the $1 boxes don't come with anything. Let me break down the candy for you...

Tootsie Rolls- Large 500 bag at Wal-Mart= best deal. $3.98 I believe
Gumballs- I wanted the big ones could only find the small ones. I bought 20 small bags at Dollar General- had a ton left over.
Runts- Ashley hates them but I told her think color think photos! 20 $1 boxes at Dollar General. KMart also has them for $1. I could only find the small boxes. That filled up that large jar with no extras but not such a popular choice.
Sour Patch Kids- 2 Large Bags at Wal-Mart $7/each- HOT ITEM! Ran out quick and wished I'd bought another bag :)
Peanut M&M's- 2 Large Bags at Wal-Mart $7/each- HOT ITEM! Had just enough but we were filling up that tiny orange bowl. Keep in mind the more expensive candies might want to fill in the smaller jars.
Skittles- Tiny pink bowl! Hot item but not as hot. 2 Large Bags at Wal-Mart $7/each
Twizzlers- 4 pound box of regulars ones, small bag of colorful ones- I can't remember the price I think about $10 collectively. Had a ton leftover
Ring Pops- Obsessed! 3 for $1 at Dollar General the cheapest place to get them! The come with the bonus one at Dollar General at Wal-Mart they do not just a little tip. I thought they were ironic and delicious for a wedding candy buffet. I bought about 25 packs of 3- Hot item but not as hot as expected!

I thought this was informative, did you? I ran around like a crazy lady that day so hopefully I've saved you some time. I did not go to Costco because it's in Harrisonburg, I'm not a member and do you think the bride wanted to do that the day before her wedding? But Costco usually is $$$ but maybe the bulk would've paid off? I'm unsure but I do know that this was a good selection and fairly cheap!

Another great thing is these jars are reuseable for decoration or for another event. Ideas: potpourri jars, soap jars in a guest bathroom, seashells or other displays. Ours are in there packaging snuggled in the garage but not for long! At my future sister-in-laws shower I'm planning we're doing a small candy buffet maybe using 3! Her peacock shower should be great- today mom and I went to Pier 1- I'm in heaven there! I can't wait to brag about that shower after it's over.

I am so glad I can speak of Ashley's wedding without feeling exhausted and "over it" I'm actually really proud of the first wedding I planned- I hope to get the pictures and add to my event portfolio. I am serious about this planning industry and once I get some money I think I'm going to invest in the start up in the meantime if you know any future brides that would be interested in an affordable event planner that is an expert of guest list, master of creativity and can make it happen on any buget please give them my name and contact information! :) Thank you all for reading!!

Love <3
Amanda

2 comments:

  1. So I decided to start reading your blog...and now I have been procrastinating from writing my paper for the past 45 mins b/c I have been reading! hahaha. You do a great job!! Keep up the good work :)

    Oh, and you are definitely planning any and all of my future parties anddd probably my wedding (r u willing to travel to wisconsin? haha)

    love u!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! great stuff, Thanks for sharing a very interesting and informative content, it helps me a lot, keep it up!
    What's the perfect way to add a special touch to your wedding and make your wedding guests extremely happy? A candy buffet bar, of course! And where can you possibly find the best selection of candies under one roof?

    candy buffets for weddings ma

    ReplyDelete