Monday, June 28, 2010

When Did This Happen?!


I was paging through some old yearbooks from New Hope, Clymore and a PVCOB directory. I can't believe how long ago that was. I smiled when I saw some of you all - yes you all! With our straight across bangs, matching outfits and spaces in between our teeth. That sums up my childhood right there.


It reminded me of the quote from Grey's Anatomy - "I guess we're adults. The question is, when did that happen, and how do we make it stop?" - Meredith Grey. I mean really when did this happen? I think it's finally hit me. I went through some clothes the other day and I remember seeing outfits I wore my junior year of high school. I remember thinking that there not that old but when did the "some day" jeans become six years old? Then I have kids I babysat for when I was 16 Face booking me that are in high school now? I mean the first diaper I've ever changed is now in middle school. When did that happen?! I know what most of you are probably thinking, what are you talking about Amanda you're 23 years old that's not old. What I have to say to that is - maybe you are actually older than you'd like to acknowledge too. Just kidding!

I was driving once and saw an older couple in a truck pulling a camper and the bumper sticker read "Too old to work too young to die." I loved it. I know 23 isn't that old- it's actually really young but I guess I am in shell shock that four years of college flew by and now I'm in this transitional stage of life. Where I need to find a job or go to grad school.

Here are some other things that have made me realize my new found adulthood (sigh)

1. My brother and sister are engaged.
2. I have to make life choices on my own.
3. My dog is registered under my name at the vet. They call me his responsible parent. yikes!
4. I am not on summer break right now. - what!?
5. I need a job if I want to have a social life or drive.
6. People my age are getting married- some even have babies- what!
7. I got my own invitation in the mail not addressed to my parents just me
8. I must look at a guys hand to see if he's married
9. On the other hand, I must make sure the cutie at the pool isn't in high school or younger than 20. (Beiber fever anyone?!)
10. I feel guilty for having Beiber fever.
11. Cosmopolitan magazine is no longer exciting for me- I have realized it's the same magazine just different wording- though if Kim K, Katy Perry or anyone else I love is on the cover I'm buying it.
12. I like a Good Housekeeping every now and then
13. I didn't know when MTV Movie Awards came on and I didn't care
14. I am not counting the days until the new Real World though I should have applied, New Orleans anyone?
15. My parents are celebrating 30 years together this April!
16. I walked by a group of 12 year olds playing catch and cursing and they said "shut up an adults coming" I looked around to realize they were referring to me?!


Call me crazy but this might be a crisis! Hold onto your youth. I only have fond memories of my childhood, tween and teen years. I hope the twenties creep by because I am not ready to have black balloons and toilet paper streamed in my yard.


On the other hand, I am grateful to be alive and with every year that passes by I am grateful. That's life after all-living, growing, aging. I just didn't expect life to fly by so fast. I love life though I am truly blessed to have such a wonderful family, support, lasting friendships, health etc. There's just something really lovely about reflecting back to the days when life was carefree and you had your parents to fall back on. Post college it's really up to us to make something out of our lives and that's scary. I guess that's why we love songs like "American Honey" where we sing a long and realize how great life was then and is now. I don't remember the quote exactly but it went something like our life is not about a knowing ourselves but spending everyday getting to know ourselves- not about a purpose but finding the purpose or a simple better one is that our life is about serving God and living each day for him. With that said I'll leave it at that- didn't really mean to get "deep" just realized that for a second I may have sounded like an ungrateful brat-it happens. So may you truly live all the days of your life because in the words of DMB's Two Step: "life is short but sweet for certain."


On a light note: call me when you're 18 beiber!


Thanks for reading :)

1 comment:

  1. I agree with Ashley, your blogs are so interesting, and really make a lot of sense, you need to apply to some newspapers, you are really
    good and to he point.

    ReplyDelete