Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Treasure!




Exactly a month ago today I hosted my sisters bridal shower. I am a tad OCD when it comes to planning but I would like to think it's just being responsible. When planning I already knew I wanted to use these glass drink dispensers that my friend had at a fundraiser. These glass dispensers really are a great investment and focal point to any party. I borrowed them (thanks LB!) but I am on the look out to purchase ones once I have extra cash flow. They have great ones at Target, TJ Maxx, Kohl's and Pier 1 that I've seen so far but I think the best ones are on random websites.

The set up for the dispensers were just how I imagined, beautiful. I had a great Sangria recipe that consisted of all the colorful fruits you can think of but the blueberries got stuck so I would skip the "blubs" unless you don't mind clearing them out with a wooden spoon every now and then. The dispensers also were my inspiration for the theme "Sundresses & Sangria". It was mid May and most of my sisters friends are teachers so I knew it would be a perfect escape for the end of another school year. It was a taste of summer and the second dispenser filled with lemonade for my sisters pregnant bridesmaid and our mom was a hit too. I used Country Time mix to save time but squeezed lemons for the fresh feel and look.

Sangria Recipe: For a large dispenser like I used: 3 bottles of white wine, 2.5 cups of OJ, bottle of Ginger Ale, Splashes of 7 Up or Sprite and lots and lots of sliced fruit. Fruit options: orange slices, strawberries, kiwis, berries of any kind-they tend to sink though!, lemons etc.

Another great piece was this chandelier I found on the side of the road in Roanoke. I had saw it a couple of days earlier it was white and kind of vintage looking. I finally got the courage to pull over and get it. I felt like I was stealing or dumpster diving but it was on the sidewalk just screaming my name. I should probably confess that I made my friend jump out passenger and get it at 10pm, sketchy-yes, good find- yes! Once I examined it I knew it was perfect. It didn't need any paint job. I would cut the wires, cut out the metal for the light bulb and would use it and fill with flowers or candles. I should say I didn't cut anything-my sisters soon-to-be hubby did! (thanks SS!) I was excited two focal points that did not cost a dime! The rest of the bridal shower decor was cute and mainly hand made. I have an advantage on planning because one-it's a passion and two- it's a given talent of being "crafty".

The shower was not cheap but also not expensive- of course the food, drinks and flowers were more costly then the decorations but my advice for any bridesmaid, friend, MOB, MOH or MOG would be to relax look at pictures of things you would like to have from some fancy wedding magazine and make it yours. Go to antique stores, flea markets and keep your eyes opened! Because anything can go from trash to treasure without looking cheap! The small touches are what makes things beautiful.


Also I would love to spill on everything that happened and we did at the shower but I do not have the time but I will say my sister and I found this game on the web probably the knot.com best wedding site ever- its called bridal bingo its a twist to watching the bride open gifts!


It's wedding season so good luck to everyone it can be a stressful time but relax, have fun and really savor the moments because when it's all said and done the stress of it won't matter and the only thing left will be the memories and photos <3










No comments:

Post a Comment