Friday, October 1, 2010

After my first couple of blogs I was surprised to see that people were actually reading it. The comments are always positive and I’m flattered. I started this blog as an outlet to share my feelings because I wanted to share what I’m feeling or doing with many of you that I’m not in touch with on a weekly or even monthly basis.


I have always loved writing. I have kept spiral notebooks of journals since high school that are full of poetry and letters. They date back to 2002- it’s full of love and heartbreak. (Sigh) I have always been quiet about many of my passions because I was worried what people would think but now that I am out of high school I know that none of it matters. “You do what you love and **** the rest” – Little Miss Sunshine-Probably one of the best and most inappropriate quotes ever.

I believe that writing is therapeutic just as much as exercise, meditation, yoga, a bubble bath, shopping… (Insert your therapeutic ritual here) etc. I picked up the pencil (or keyboard) more and more after MaDee’s diagnosis and passing. I shared this quote on a comment on Facebook but I still am in love with it. I was skimming through the Oprah magazine on Oprah’s 2010 Power list writer Sarah Ruhl said this: “Death is epistemologically impossible. When my father died, I couldn’t wrap my mind around the loss. Writing was a way to make sense of it. Art is a way of freezing time, or extending time- repealing an absence. It’s another way to bridge the gaps between us.” Love! Love! Love! This quote found me. So we all have the opportunity for a little therapeutic writing, healing or even soul searching, I am going to start posting from a “topic site.” I don’t know if that is the correct term but it’s another blog with writing assignments- that are meant to be thought provoking- http://www.readwriteheal.com/

I am still going to do fun posts because I think everyone prefers funny Amanda over emotional Amanda? But I would like to believe that reading can also be therapeutic and I think that several of you can relate to how I am feeling so in a way that too is therapeutic.

Thanks for reading and I for real this time am going to post the readwriteheal post next!

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment