Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Taylor Swift, Speak Now - A Review!


So I'm doing something different. I had a great week of celebration, remembrance and even a few days of work. I plan to blog on them but today is reserved for Taylor Swift. I don't buy cd's too often mainly just a few songs on iTunes. Before heading back to South Carolina yesterday I picked up the Taylor Swift cd on it's debut day. That never happens I probably looked like a Taylor Swift fanatic. Maybe I am or maybe I'm twelve- nope the first. After reading the reviews and the buzz on the album I couldn't resist! A revenge cd? Sweet Taylor Swift?!

Whatever you have to say about Taylor Swift I agree. I've wrote poetry about break ups and have a fairly decent singing voice but I'm not a country/pop superstar. Just saying. So anything you think of Taylor Swift I agree! That said I'm going to review my favorite songs, lyrics and thoughts in general!

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1650681/20101022/swift__taylor.jhtml -
this is the link to the dirt, I also read tabloids regularly and The Parade article. Really credible sources, I know!

It's about a 7 hour trip home and I listened to the album on repeat and I love it!
Let's get this started-

1. Mine - the first released track from this album I believe. 4/5

The Dirt: it's about a boy she never gave a chance to-Cory the flushed cheeked Glee cutie or Lucas Till- "You belong With Me" video boy.
My Opinion: I like the song. I love a song I can relate to but fortunately I didn't have a careless man as a father but I love the idea of the song. Giving an unexpected person a chance and it working out then watching the relationship progress. It's an upbeat tune with a fairly mature undertone of Swift and to actually think a relationship would work out for her. (gasp!)

2. Sparks Fly- 4/5

The Dirt: None that I've read. Just a light hearted song about meeting someone and sparks fly! He has "green eyes" - that's all I've got.

My Opinion: I like this song a lot. It sounds like her but I think it shows off her vocals some. I love the ending the best when she sings the chorus:

Drop everything now
Meet me in the pouring rain
Kiss me on the sidewalk
Take away the pain

Cause I see, sparks fly whenever you smile
Get me with those green eyes, baby
As the lights go down
Give me something that'll haunt me when you're not around
Cause I see, sparks fly whenever you smile

3. Back to December- the second released track I believe. 4.5/5

The Dirt: Most likely written about her Twilight hottie, Taylor Lautner. The first apology.

My Opinion: One my my absolute favorites. It's about ending a relationship and really not knowing what you have until gone. That breaking up with someone you think you'll have freedom until you realize it's more suffocating because your time is filled up with regrets of ending the relationship.
Favorite Lyrics:
I'd go back in time and change it but I can't

So if the chain is on your door, I understand.

But this is me swallowing my pride,
Standing in front of you saying I'm sorry for that night,
And I go back to December.
Turns out freedom ain't nothing but missing you,
Wishing that I realized what I had when you were mine.
I'd go back to December turn around and make it alright.

I'd go back to December turn around and change my own mind.

I go back to December all the time.

Taylor Swift Teen star Taylor Lautner does a running flip after a kissing scene with Taylor Swift in Valentine's Day. In the scene, the couple share a passionate lip lock and then Taylor does a cartwheel into a flip.
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/cHVL0urv1i7/Taylor+Lautner+Films+Taylor+Swift/BrMJKivQkxM/Taylor+Swift
I'd want to go Back to December too!


4. Speak Now- 2/5

The Dirt: Couldn't find any obviously the title track.

My Opinion: Just when you thought her songs are more grown up she digresses. Speak Now is a bit disappointing to be her album title track. I agree with something I read about Speak Now that we don't regret what we said as much as we do what we don't say but come on crashing a wedding? It's a bit immature.


5. Dear John- 3/5

The Dirt: A song about John Mayer.

My Opinion: If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's a duck c'mon why would John Mayer want to date Taylor seriously? I've read that he slept with her a broke her heart but I'm not naive enough to believe everything I read but has she should have known the way he talks about Jennifer Aniston and Jessica Simpson? Take some accountability girlfriend. I hope the song was about a different John but I think it's an overall okay concept of regret and being left broken hearted it could be a real good song if I didn't think of John Mayer the whole time. I'm sure he'll have a rebuttal and make some money off of it too. Let's be honest though he made her a back up singer in his song 'Half of My Heart'. But we've all had a Dear John so I'm not going to hate I love Taylor Swift.

http://images.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/20091209/293.mayer.swift.lc.120909.jpg
Ew. Does anyone else think he looks like Charlie Sheen after wrecking his 100th car?
6. Mean- 2/5

The Dirt: To her critics?

My Opinion: Eh so-so. I think it's a bit juvenile again but yes we understand that you make millions and your critics make thousands. touche'

7. The Story of Us- 3.5/5

The Dirt: Another tune for Taylor Lautner- do you think you'd really marry someone with the same name?

My Opinion:I like it a bit Typical Taylor but it has a good beat and some okay lyrics.

8. Never Grow Up- 4.5/5

The Dirt: No dirt.

My Opinion: One of my favorites. Great song especially for daughters or anyone with a daughter. A reflection of childhood and how growing up can be 'hard'. Makes you miss childhood!

9. Enchanted- 5/5

The Dirt: None

My Opinion: MY FAVORITE! It's soulful and I really love her deep voice. I think if you think she can't sing then this proves you wrong (unless she sings it live- I could be wrong ) I just love this song I don't know why I guess it's about meeting someone and just being blown away- it's almost sexy for Taylor - I don't know I'm obsessed with this song. I listened to this song three hundred times yesterday!

10. Better Than Revenge- 2.5/5

The Dirt: Listen to the lyrics! Supposedly about Joe Jonas and actress Camilla Belle.

My Opinion: Catty Taylor! It's got a way different vibe- but almost seems like she's trying too hard a cross between her and Paramore almost. Very pop rock. What's better than revenge? Making millions? Agreed. The song is a little cheesy and something you'd think Miley Cyrus would sing or be the actress Taylor's speaking of. Whose Camilla?! What's the best revenge? Probably moving on.


http://www.celebritycouples.net/portals/1/ProfilePics/JoeJonasCamilleBelle.jpg
"She's not a saint and she's not what you think
She's an actress, Whoa
She's better known for the things that she does
On the mattress, Whoa
Soon she's gonna find
Stealing other people's toys on the playground
Won't make you many friends
She should keep in mind,
She should keep in mind
There is nothing I do better than revenge, Ha"-

Clearly Taylor is over it. haha.


11. Innocent 4.5/5

The Dirt: Kanye West-gate 2009 VMAS. If you don't know what I'm speaking of you need to get out from under the rock. It's a song for Kanye West about that night he ruined her speech. She performed the song at the 2010 VMAs.

My Opinion: I actually like this song. I think it has some good lyrics to it but again I think of Kanye. Who makes millions off of being a d-bag that I also like. Taylor got a ton of press- so it's a win- win for Taylor.
Putting aside Kanye I think it's a good reflection on mistakes. That we all make them and that because we're however old means that we know better but still aren't perfect. I think getting over what someone did to you, said to you in the past is apart of maturing. If I did something four years ago and you still hold a grudge about it I feel sorry for you. I'm glad it took Taylor a year to get over it. I know I am. What did that have a sassy underlying meaning? Maybe.

Favorite lyric:
It's all right, just wait and see

Your string of lights is still bright to me
Oh, who you are is not where you've been
You're still an innocent..

Are you like me waiting for her to use a noun? An innocent _______. what?!

12. Haunted- 5/5

The Dirt: None

My Opinion:  Love this track too! Great music- Starts out spooky- Haunted! I guess it's about a relationship being over but she wants it back and she constantly haunted by it ending. I like it! Come on Come on!

12. Last Kiss 4/5

The Dirt: I'm sure it's about someone I don't know who!

My Opinion: I like this song- thought it's 6 minutes long! A sad song about a relationship ending.

"So I'll go sit on the floor

Wearing your clothes
All that I know is that
I don't know how to be something you miss
Never thought we'd have a last kiss
Never imagined we'd end like this
Your name, forever the name on my lips"

13. Long Live- 4/5

The Dirt: None.

My Opinion:  I think it it's about winning something - Homecoming Queen and King? I'm not sure I like it okay though. I interpret it as getting ready to face everything that has happened in her album. Making memories in high school or college, graduating and starting the rest of their lives... I think it's up to interpretation.

That's the album! 

I bought mine at Target unknowing that it was the "exclusive" bonus track cd!

So real quick I like "Ours", "If this was a Movie". "Superman" is okay. And the others are acoustic versions of other songs on the album. "If this was a Movie" sounds like Back to December I think.

So buy Taylor Swift? Preview songs and buy some or buy none!

Thanks for reading- just a fun blog!















No comments:

Post a Comment